Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Sept 17'Ridley Ch 7, X & Y, 8 (Instinct, Conflict, Self-Interest)

Before I begin, I would just like to say how privileged I am that I did not live my life in such seclusion the first thirteen years as to only know the words “Stopit” and “Nomore.” How one human can treat another in such a manner is unfathomable to me. On a different note, we have landed at last upon what I see as one of the greatest redeeming qualities of genetics: its use in forensic science. While its utility to the medical field is, I grant you, great indeed, I am often uncertain whether the moral nature of genetics carried out in the name of advancing medicine is truly in the best interest of the human race. Forensics, on the other hand, seeks to identify and thereby stop the ill-natured members of our species from committing such heinous acts as that mentioned above. There are far fewer ethical dilemmas I can generate concerning the use of genetics in forensics than medicine.

No comments: